Monday, September 1, 2014

Why You Should Always Call a MInnesota Traffic Ticket Attorney For Your Ticket

As an experienced Minnesota Traffic Ticket Attorney, I get loads and loads of questions about how much does a lawyer cost --- and is it worth it?  No doubt, these are legitimate questions.  And with just a few quick facts, you can get the right answers from almost any attorney that handles traffic tickets.  

Questions to Ask a Lawyer

How old is the ticket?  What's it for?  What county and/or city is it in?  These are likely to be the questions you will be asked by the Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney you contact, because these questions basically allow for a calculation of the amount of work that's involved. 

But when you are asking the questions of the attorney, should price be one of the first questions you ask?  Hardly, in fact, it should be the last.  Here's why.

To ask a question about price, you are assuming that traffic attorneys are like any other commodity.  You are wise to shop around for the lowest price - true; because regardless of what you pay for it, it is pretty much going to look, taste and quench your thirst exactly the same.  

However, Minnesota Traffic Lawyers are not just any product.   They come in all shapes and sizes (literally and figuratively).

What I mean by that, is some traffic lawyers are small one man/woman operations, and are usually cheaper/less expensive because they have less overhead.

Conversely, some firms are not one man/woman operations and appear to charge more.  Often, this goes more toward keeping them in their fancy offices ... profiting off of your misfortune.  

Granted, it's important that you not be penny wise and pound foolish ... and you shouldn't just hire a layer to save $10-$20 if doing so could be the difference between hundreds or thousands of dollars in higher court costs or higher insurance increases.  But, you only need to pay for what you need

As a former prosecutor, who has worked thousands of traffic tickets, I can give you a fair assessment of you case ... and I will only charge you for the work I do.  You will not be paying for my ego.   

Don't be afraid to get answers to your questions, before you spend your hard earned money.  Call or text the Rolloff Law Office - ANYTIME -  to get answers for ask these questions and any others: (612) 234-1165

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Minnesota BWI Charges (Explained)

Minnesota law makers have enacted statutes, in recent years, extending the DWI laws to the waterways. Now, if an individual is stopped on a lake or river and suspected of operating a boat in an improper manner, the law enforcement may determine that they have probable cause to believe the person is under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances, then the police can request that the driver of the boat submit to a blood, breath or urine test, as they would in a drunk driving case involving a motor vehicle.  If you have been arrested for bloating while intoxicated, you should seek out the counsel of a Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney.  

The basis elements that the State must prove to convict someone of boating while intoxicated or BWI:

  • Operation of a boat; and
  • Having a blood-alcohol content as measured within two hours of operating the boat of .08 or higher; and/or 
  • Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol.  

The same general procedures are that are required to followed as when a DWI arrest is made on the roadways.  

Criminal Consequences

Penalties for BWI are similar to those for operating a car while intoxicated, and the prior offenses for boating and for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated are aggregated together in order to determine how many prior alcohol related offenses the person has. 

BWIs, like DWIs, are enhanceable offenses which means that each offense is treated more seriously than the previous one. There is no mandatory penalty for a typical first time DWI or BWI, unless there are aggravating factors, such as: a prior offenses, children present, etc.  

Differences From Minnesota DWIs

There is some good news regarding boating DWIs as follows:

In Minnesota, open container laws (ie., open bottles) do not apply to boats. Passengers and boat operators can have an open containers containing alcohol. However, boat operators must operate their boats safely and not in a careless manner, or they risk being stopped and cited.


Don't Wait. Call For Experienced BWI Defense

If you have been cited for a BWI, call and experienced Minnesota BWI Attorney.  The Rolloff Law Office can assist you.  Call today for a free initial consultation: (612) 234-1165.  

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Hennepin County Probation Violations (Explained)

So ... your case has been resolved .... and, as part of the settlement, you've been placed on probation.  Things were going good ... and then you slipped --- whether it was a bad UA or maybe a new criminal charge ... now you're facing a probation violation.  Now what?

Believe it or not Minnesota has some fairly generous sentencing conditions and first (heck, even second) time probation offenders can often have most or all of their jail time suspended - without going to prison - under certain conditions.  Yes, Virginia --- there are 2nd and 3rd chances ... but, you have to earn the,  This is where and experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney can be a good resource.  

What Should You Do?

Probation violations can come into being fast (and easily.) So, if there is talk - from your agent - that a violation is coming, you should be prepared to act as jail can happen. If you’re on probation, here are some very concrete steps you can take to avoid probation violations, or empower an attorney to beat a probation violation if one is filed. These steps can mean the difference between freedom and jail.

1. Maintain Your Own Record

One of the biggest problems Minnesota Criminal Defense Lawyers face when helping someone with a probation violation is a lack of memory and the absence of a timeline.  So ... you are best served by keeping track of every call, letter and contact you have with your agent.  One thing you might want to consider ... get your agent's email address and communicate that way.  Then, keep those emails.  

2. Don't Disappear 

The easiest way to avoid problems - aside from following the court's orders to a "T" is to (especially is there is an "issue") keep in contact with your agent.Believe it or not, the biggest problem have while on probation ... it is not the occasional "slip," instead ... it is failing to communicate with your minder.  DO that ... and HUGE problems can be avoided.  TIP: The probation officer has no obligation to track you down. You should immediately inform your probation officer IN WRITING of your new address or phone number.

If you have not heard from your probation officer in a while, don’t assume everything is fine. Be proactive. Contact them out of the blue at least once a month if you haven’t heard from them and ask whether there is anything they need from you. Write it down that you contacted them, and what their response is if any. No news is not always good news. If they can’t find you, they can violate your probation for lack of contact.

Do not miss meetings with your probation officer.  You should make meetings with your probation officer an absolute priority, as much as getting to work on time or picking you kids up from school.  Missed meetings can result in a violation.  If you’re in jail, you can’t work, and you can’t parent.  Put your meeting dates into your calendar on your phone and set alarms on it days in advance.  Alternatively, write them down on your wall calendar or in a day planner.

3. Know Your Drugs.

Many medications can result in dirty UAs ... so, especially if this is the result of a valid prescribed drug that you are on ... more than you word, your agent is going to want to see proof.  Tip: Keep information about your medications. 

4. Save a Lawyer's Number on Your Phone

You are not required to admit to your agent that you may have violated your probation.  If you even think you’re going to face a violation, call an experienced lawyer before it’s even filed or brought up at a meeting --- and let that person do the talking for you.  A good lawyer should be able to give at least preliminary advice for free, but you should be prepared and save money up for the possible need to hire one if you face a probation violation. 

Don’t take too many chances, this is your liberty I'm talking about.  If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Rolloff Law Office for a FREE CONSULTATION: (612) 234-1165

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Why Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer

If you have been accused or charged with a crime, you must understand that you have the right to an attorney.  At anytime, you can ask for a lawyer ... from the accustaion, to when you're being questioned by the police or any time later in the process ... all the way up until trial. 

If you can't afford an lawyer, you can ask the judge for a court-appointed attorney - a public defender. Otherwise, you'll be expected to pay for the services of a criminal defense lawyer yourself.

How to Choose the Right Criminal Defense Lawyer

To find the right Minnesota Criminal Defense Lawyer - first - look for someone who works your type of case. A lawyer who handles mostly DWI charges, for example, might not be the best person to handle charges of assault or homicide. Another factor to consider is whether the lawyer practices criminal defense in the particular court or county where you'll be tried.

Meet With the Lawyer
Often, the best way to get to know someone is to take their measure - face-to-face.  This is the best way to get answers to your questions. If the case is routine, the lawyer may be able to give you an idea of what could happen --- without looking at the police reports and other documents.  However, *** be warned *** no lawyer should try to give you any guarantees about the outcome of the case.

A Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help

The law surrounding your defense, when accused of a crime, is complicated --- even if you think it isn't. Plus, the facts of each case are unique --- so, what happened to "some guy you know" may not be what happens to you. For more detailed, specific information, please contact a Minnesota Criminal Defense Lawyer.

I'm a former prosecutor ... who has worked thousands of cases.  Any questions ... anytime, please feel free to call or text the Rolloff Law Office: (612) 234-1165.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Do I Need to Hire a Shoplifting Lawyer?

It doesn't matter if you have been caught shoplifting a candy bar or you have been accused of embezzling money from your job, theft is a serious crime and one that the authorities are doing their best to crack down on. The potential penalties you may face will depend on the value of the property or the amount of money you are accused of stealing. You need an experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney to help defend your rights.

The Rolloff Law Office will help to conduct a thorough investigation of your case. We review the evidence the police have against you. We obtain any piece of evidence that will be useful in your case, including surveillance footage, financial records and computer hard drives. We look for all possible defenses and will explain the options available to you. If you choose to go to court, Jay is an experienced trial lawyer and will fight for your rights. Regardless of the severity of your crime, he takes the charges against you seriously and work for the best possible outcome in your case.

The Rolloff Law Office handles many forms of theft charges, including:
  • Shoplifting
  • Robbery
  • Burglary
  • Receiving stolen property
  • Check forgery
Ramsey County Shoplifting Defense Attorney

Criminal convictions will show up on any background check. If you are convicted of theft, it may affect your ability to get a job, especially because accusations of theft tend to lead to mistrust. If you are convicted of felony charges, you will lose your right to own a gun, which includes a hunting rifle. You may also no longer be allowed to cross some international borders, such as the Minnesota border with Canada.

Call the Rolloff Law Office at (612) 234-1165 to schedule a time to come in and talk with me. If I am unable to answer your call, we will return it as soon as possible. 

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Should I Hire A Lawyer to Fight a Traffic Ticket

A question I get, as an experienced Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney, from people who have received traffic tickets for such traffic infraction as speeding, no seat belt, no motorcycle endorsement, failure to wear corrective lenses ... is: Should I hire a lawyer to help me with my traffic ticket?

While it does cost to hire a lawyer, what an experienced Minneapolis Traffic Ticket Attorney can save you in fines, fees, court costs, time and especially car insurance premiums, will normally far exceed the up-front cost of an attorney. 

Often, no one, including the prosecutors, wants to see your insurance rates go up, but to take advantage of the various methods to keep your costs down (including insurance points and costs), you often are required to get professional help to get a deal which keeps an infraction off of your record. 
So, before you just pay the ticket because you're guilty ...    think about saving yourself the lengthy, costly, and oftentimes ongoing hassle of increased court costs, fees, fines, and insurance costs/points by hiring an attorney. 
Call the Rolloff Law Office --- we will ask you all of the appropriate questions, run your driving record, and negotiate with the District Attorney to figure out the best method of handling your ticket, which can (and often does) save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in the long run.  
Call today: (612) 234-1165 

Friday, June 13, 2014

Domestic Assault Lawyer - Richfield

DOMESTIC ASSAULT is a crime in the State of Minnesota and it can be charged out as a Misdemeanor, Gross Misdemeanor or Felony.  Additionally, the charge and/or a conviction can have lasting negative consequences to a defendant and his or her family.  This is why you should get answers from an experienced, Minnesota Criminal Defense Attorney --- before things turn into an even bigger mess.    

What are the Non-Criminal Consequences of a DOMESTIC ASSAULT Charge or Conviction?

1. Domestic Assault No Contact Order (DANCO)

Even though a defendant in a criminal case is “presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt,” it is very common for a DANCO order to be put in place early on in the case by the judge. A DANCO order is aimed at keeping the defendant away from the alleged victim while the case is pending. (The DANCO order will also often continue well after the case has been resolved.)

Often the issuance of a DANCO order creates an extreme hardship for the defendant and his or her family. As part of the DANCO order the judge will place restrictions on the defendant’s ability to return home. Where kids are involved, this can be very challenging for the entire family. But, even where there aren’t kids in the picture, a defendant that cannot return home to retrieve his or her property and other necessities are terribly inconvenienced. Moreover, because a DANCO order compels the defendant to avoid direct and indirect contact and communication with the alleged victim, it is extremely difficult to arrange for the return of the defendant’s property.  

2. Anger and Chemical Use Assessments

Most judges will order an individual convicted of Domestic Assault to submit to an anger management assessment. In addition, if there was any alcohol or drug use by the defendant in connection with the incident, then the judge will likely also order the defendant to submit to a chemical uses assessment as well.  After the assessment process is complete, the Judge (or probation) will review the assessment and associated recommendations. The judge then, as part of the Sentencing Order, orders the defendant to comply with all of the assessment’s recommendations. For example, if an anger management assessment recommends that a defendant attend a specific anger management class, then the defendant must attend (and pay for) that specific class. Moreover, if a defendant fails to follow the assessment’s recommendations, then a judge may find that the defendant has violated a term of probation and needs to serve time in jail.  

3. Harm to Employment/Employment Prospects 

Under Minnesota law, an employer may be able to fire an employee because of a criminal charge or conviction. In addition, job applications often ask the applicant if he or she has been convicted of a crime. Unfortunately, Felony Domestic Assault is a crime and would have to be disclosed on a job application. Moreover, a conviction for Felony Domestic Assault would most assuredly show up on a criminal background check.

Why you should contact Richfield Domestic Assault Attorney Jay Rolloff?

Jay Rolloff is a Minnesota criminal defense attorney with experience both prosecuting and defending people charged with Domestic Assault. To find out how to resolve your case in the most favorable way possible for you, contact The Rolloff Law Office for A FREE CONSULTATION on your Richfield Domestic Assault case. Call: (612) 234-1165.